As a Black writer, I was expected to accept the role of victim. That made it difficult in the beginning to be a writer. James Baldwin
I often feel that there must have been something that I should’ve done that I didn’t do. But I can’t identify what it is that I didn’t do. That’s the first difficulty. And the second is, what makes you think you’re it?
Harry Belafonte, activist and singer at 89
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble; It's what you know for sure that just ainst so.
You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.
Mary Tyler Moore
You can’t defend Christianity by being against refugees and other religions
"I don't have to be what you want me to be". Muhammad Ali
"The Secret of Living Well and Longer: eat half, walk double, laugh triple, and love without measure" attributed to Tibetan sources
Recent audio posts include interviews with Rumi interpreter Shahram Shiva, London-based author Aamer Hussein, South African Muslim scholar, professor Farid Esack, and Iraqi journalist Nermeen Al-Mufti's brief account of Kirkuk City history. Your comments on our blogs are always welcome.
- Laila Lalami
- author of "The Moor's Account", and before that "Secret Son", and "Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits"
- Zaid Shlah poet
Sample "Comply" from Taqsim, read by Zaid Shlah 3:51
Sample speaking about Taqsim in music and poetry, with BN Aziz 6:15
- Etel Adnan
- Artist and writer Etel Adnan is a poet, essayist and novelist, the author of numerous books. Her latest book "In the Heart of the Heart of Another Country" is published by City Lights.
Sample 'Arab Apocalypse', excerpt by the author 1:26
Sample Etel Adnan reading from 'The Indian Never Had A Horse' 00:42
Sample 2003 Interview; talking about Arab American literature 4:47
Sample "In the Heart of the Heart of Another Country"; a passage, recorded in 2006 2:32
Sample 2004 interview excerpt; Adnan and BN Aziz 5:34
- Mahmoud Darwish
- 5 poems, in Arabic; read by Darwish at various venues. Also hear Fady Joudah reading Darwish under our 'a poem, a song' section.
Sample "In Jerusalem" (Arabic) 3:23
Sample "The PineTree Has Broken" 2:26
Sample "The Beauties are the Beauties" 1:52
Sample "A Man and A Deer in the Garden" 3:02
Sample "She/He" 2:39
- Poet Rachida Mohammedi
- Algerian based poet and translator Mohammedi, has published two
collections of her poetry in Arabic. She also complied and translated
into French, a collection of the work of Iraqi poets, written under
"Maraya" audio commentaries by R Mohammedi: In 2005, in New York, Mohammedi produced several Arabic language commentaries for WBAI Radio.
"Maraya 4: English summary"
Sample "Maraya" commentary by Rachida Mohammedi, Arabic 3:12
Sample Rachida Mohammedi reads from "Tears"; Arabic 2:25
Sample Maraya "Land Day" commentary. Arabic 3:35
Sample commentary on Martin Luther King Jr. by Rachida Mohammedi, Arabic 5:20
- Nahid Rachlin
- author of "Persian Girls" a memoir; host Saadia Aslam
- Dr. Salma Khadra Jayyusi
Dr. Jayyusi, director of PROTA, is editor of eight published anthologies of translations and collections of Arabic literature. Her most recent compilation Modern Arabic Fiction, was released in 2005.
In three 30 minute interviews with Tahrir, Jayyusi speaks about a range of issues in Arabic culture, history and literature.
Sample from Dr. Jayyusi 's interview about Arabic fiction 6:27
- Deema Shehabi
Sample 2006 interview and poems, with BN Aziz 5:37
- Hanan al Shaykh author
- Al-Shaykh speaks with BN Aziz about the release of the English translation of her mother's story, "The Locust and the Bird". Hear clips from our interview on RadioTahrir.
- Ghada Karmi
- Palestinian writer, author of "Married to Another Man", and the memoir "In Search of Fatima", 2008 interview by S Malaika.
- Labeebah Sabree
- "Get Your Lips off My Dress", a poem by Labeebah
- Yvonne Wakin Dennis
- Arab/Native American author Dennis writes books for children on American Indian history. This is from her Dec 8/09 conversation with Reem Nasr.
- Lisa Mohammed
- New York based poet, Lisa Mohammed, author of two collections of
poetry, also teches writing to young people in New York. The poem, "Is This A Test?", was performed in celebration of the release from prison of Brother Geronimo Ji JaJa.
Sample "Is This A Test?" 5:23
Sample Lisa Mohammed reads "I Am From" 4:57
- Ahdaf Soueif
- Novelist, author of ""Map of Love" (a Booker Prize finalist), and more
recently a collection of essays "Mezzaterra:Fragments from the
Common Ground" 2004.
A highly regarded literary figure based in London and Egypt, Soueif also frequently writes reviews and commentaries for The Guardian, London. Her other books include "Aisha, The Sandpiper", and "In the Eye of the Sun."
In the accompanying 1999 interview, Soueif talks with Barbara Nimri Aziz about writing "Map of Love."
Sample Soueif talks about her novel "Map of Love" with BN Aziz 6:08
- Ghalib Halasa
- Jordanian author; lived in exile in Egypt and Syria; died in Damascus 1991. This is a clip from a lengthy interview in Syria in 1990 by BN Aziz. After his death, an association was established in Jordan to honor his work.
Sample exiled Jordanian author and critic speaks with BN Aziz during their 1989 meeting in Damascus 3:30
Men have singled out women of outstanding merit and put them on a pedestal to avoid recognizing the capabilities of all women--
Huda Shaarawi (1879-1947), Egyptian political activist and feminist
- a poem.. a song..
- "These Words", by Lisa S. Majaj
poem from the chapbook These Words Flash
- Algeria: Qur'an Recitation
Algerian Sahara , by Sufi brothers
- Book review
- Naguib Mahfouz's
The Journey of Ibn Fattouma
reviewed by BN Aziz.
- Tahrir Team
- Read about Mona Iskander in the team page.