April 16 podcast. Fawzia Afzal Khan on parallel Muslim agendas in America-- diverging or supporting? BN Aziz reads from The First Muslim, by Lesley Hazelton.
March 26 podcast. Celebrating women on Youm el-Oum, Arab Mother's Day--Baghdad resident Souad AlRadi (from our 2003 archive), and poems by Lamees AlAthari
March 8, podcast Women's Day special: poet and author Mohja Kahf on western representations of the Muslim woman (a 2000 archive production).
Jan 15 podcast Hassen Abdellah and BNimri Aziz review advances and setbacks in our communities. Marking his 85th birthday, we look at the work of civil rights attorney Ramsey Clark. (see our Jan 26 blog)
Jan 8 podcast ALGERIA: Ammar Kessab comments on Algerian government control of ‘culture’; Simone Fattal examines the role of democracy philosopher deTocqueville in Algeria; nuclear scientist Al-Aboudi details France’s nuclear tests in Algeria & longterm affects
Jan 1 podcast New Year special with Sarah Malaika
Dec 25 podcast. Year end broadcast hosted by BN Aziz, with listener calls
Dec 18 podcast. Tahrir revisits Algeria's Rai music tradition in a 1997 archival production by Anissa Bouziane, then an update with Arab music aficiando Dawn Elder. B N Aziz reviews the work of Arab filmmakers Yasmina Adi and Ruba Nadda.
Dec 4 podcast SF activist Alice Nashashibi (archive); “Existence is Resistance" NYC HipHop Festival supporting Gaza. Algeria: Pt 1:Ammar Kessab on the Algerian government's hegemony on cultural (civic) expression.
Nov 27 podcast Before the the UN vote on Palestine, an early commentary by Fouad Moughrabi on land seizures; also scholar Walid Khalidi on Jerusalem history. Book review: "The Time Remaining" by Samuel Hazo. Poems: Suheir Hammad and Lisa Majaj.
Nov 20 podcast from Tahrir's 2005 archive: Salma K Jayyusi on modern Arabic literature; also the NY Arab Comedy Festival.
Sept 25 podcast 'The stupid film' everyone is mad about: Wayne State U Middle East specialist Abdullah Al-Arian offers strategies for American Muslims. Ramallah-based Palestinian artist Taiseer Barakat (Tahrir archive)
Sept 18 podcast American Muslims: advances and setbacks, with author Stephan Salisbury, attorney Fahd Ahmed, DRUM-NY and Adem Caroll of ICNA. From 1991 Tahrir archive, Sayyid M. Sayeed discusses Islamophobia 13 years ago.
Sept 11 Ethiopia's Muslim history, past and present with Nejib Muhammad US Islamic Community of Ethiopians.
Aug 21 podcast "From Cordoba to Baghdad", Arab Music with virtuoso, Simon Shaheen. From our Tahrir archive.
Aug 14 podcast Naif Al-Mutawa creator of “The 99”and CEO of Teshkeel Media speaks about his challenges, his vision, his plans for this international superhero young people's project. From our 1994 Tahrir archive, an excerpt from The City of Cairo with Kadry Al-Arabi, and some Ramadan poetry.
Aug 7 podcast Mustafa Davis California-based filmmaker & photographer producer of “Deentight” an award winning film talks about hip hop artists and Islam. And productions by this summer’s Tahrir interns-- Weaam Wali and Omar Ammar.
July 3 see podcast. Attorney Omar Mohammedi assesses Congressman King's hearings and Islamophobia; interview with London based S. Asia fusion vocalist 'Najma' ('94), and Farid Esack ('97 Tahrir archive)
June 12, podcast. Ilyasa Shabazz, author of "Growing Up X", and daughter of Malcolm Al-Hajj Shabazz.
June 5 podcast, Muslim students talk about their experience after revelations of infiltration by US intellegence agencies of their student assemblies. Also, a Tahrir archive profile: the early 20th C. Egyptian feminist Doria Shafiq
May 14 2 hour special: The 'Nakba', 64th anniversary of the expulsions from Palestine in 1948.
May 1 podcast Tribute to Brother Ghazi Khankan 1934-2012.
April 24 podcast Actor/film-director Newark-born Usman Sharif talks about his career, his productions in progress and the politics of making films.
April 10 podcast Iraq--an economic model? From our archive on pre-1990 Iraq--economist Rashid Yakob. Also: Tuareg of the Sahel and crises in Saharan areas of Niger, Mali, Algeria, Libya-- a commentary by BNAziz.
March 27 podcast "Water in the Middle East"-a radio documentary from our archive, with updates.
Mar 13 podcast Muslim Responses to Unlawful Surveillance: Sharifah Salaam, NJ & Imam Ramadan, NY
"Men have singled out women of outstanding merit and put them on a pedestal to avoid recognizing the capabilities of all women" — Huda Shaarawi (1879-1947), Egyptian political activist and feminist
Jan 31 podcast Turkish TV dramas in the Arab World: with Aydin Baltaci and BN Aziz. An excerpt from RNasr's interview with journalist/author Ashraf Khalil-- Liberation Square. (full interview podcast Feb 11)
Sept 27 podcast. Mohammed Ghani Hikmat ,Iraqi sculptor (1929-2011); and BN Aziz' report on her 1993 visit to Gaza at the time of the Oslo Accord (archive)
Sept 6, podcast Our civil rights and entrapment of Muslims by US security agencies. Attorneys Asaad Siddiqi and Lamis Deek.
August 9, see podcast What Ramadan means to me.
Aug 30, see podcast Prophet Mohammad: a third in our series on "the prophets", with Muhammad Jaaber.
a Poem.. a Song..
- Iraqi Drum Ensemble Tahrir theme music
- "We Little Ones" Children's songs, Palestinian girls; Arabic
- CheeryGirlsAndBoys by children in Lebanon; Arabic
- "DiliyaDi" Childen's playsong; Arabic
- "The Poem of Iraq", Arabic read by Bushra Bustani, poet and Professor of Arabic Literature, Mosel University
- Ali Sayed, "Oh My Southland", Arabic traditional song of South Lebanon, Arabic
- "Claims", by Lisa S. Majaj from the chapbook "These Words" by Lisa S. Majaj
- "I Am Palestinian", by Mohja Kahf read by poet and author Mohja Kahf
- "Land Holy" by Suheir Hammad written for young Mohammed Dura, killed by Israel troops, at his father's side
- Lawrence Joseph reads "August Abstract"
- Rumi's "I am You" by translator and interpreter Shahram Shiva
- "Soft Facism" read by novelist/poet Mohja Kahf
- "I Am From" Lisa Mohammed reads "I Am From"
- poem "Mish Kalem" Poet Rania Khalil reads "Mish Kalem"
- "Write This" by poet Kazim Ali
- "Unyieldingly" Lawrence Joseph reading
- "Comply" by Zaid Shlah "Comply" from Taqsim, read by Zaid Shlah
- 'The Indian Never Had a Horse" Etel Adnan reading from 'The Indian Never Had A Horse'
- "I Wash My Body in Beirut" Summer, 2006 from Lebanon, by performance artist Andrea Assaf
- "In The Heart of the Heart of Another Country"; Interview 2 "In the Heart of the Heart of Another Country"; a passage, recorded in 2006
- "Nations Against Nations"; Arabic poem by Elias AbuSaba
- Darwish: "Sonnet V" read by translator Fady Joudah (English/Arabic)
- "Malfunctioning Flowtron" by Marian Haddad
- "Al-Quds" by Ameer el-Shu'ara, Palestinian poet, in Arabic
- "Jerusalem" by Naomi Shihab Nye
- "Al-Najjar" the Carpenter; Children's playsong, Arabic
- "Olives and bread" by children in Lebanon; Arabic
- "NajwaTil Hasiba" Children's playsong; Arabic
- "13%", a poem by Amal Bishara A young Palestinian woman comments on what's left of her homeland
- Popular Palestinian Vocal traditional song of The Homelands, Arabic
- Poem "Daddy's Been Gone" Theater artist Andrea Assaf performs from the "Robin Monologues"
- "These Words", by Lisa S. Majaj poem from the chapbook These Words
- "My Wish", poem for South Lebanon, Arabic Umm Kayed's praise poem for the liberation of South Lebanon, Arabic
- Naomi Shihab Nye reads "Return" America's award-winning poet, Naomi Shihab Nye
- "The Man Who Makes Brooms" Naomi Shihab Nye reading
- "Name of God" AbdalHayy Moore reads a poem for Ramadan
- "Tears" Rachida Mohammedi reads from "Tears"; Arabic
- "I Knew" Sapphire Ahmed's prose poem on Ramadan
- "Arab Apocalypse" 'Arab Apocalypse', excerpt by the author
- Poems from "Outrage" Rafia Mazari reads from her collection "Outrage"; French
- "A Woman Who Reads Poetry"
- "Don't Turn From Me" Poet and novelist Mohja Khaf
- "Every Fourth Drop" written and read by Andrea Assaf
- "Grandfather's Farm" children's playsong; Arabic
- "What She Said", by Lisa Majaj A poem from Palestinian experience
- Darwish: "On A Day Like Today" read by Fady Joudah from The Butterfly's Burden (2006) translated by Joudah
- "We are Born with Names" by Marian Haddad
- Iranian poet Farrokhzad Iran's leading lady poet Farrokhzad is remembered by Fatemeh Keshavarz
- Friends Poet Ali Anned; Soufi popular poetry from South Algeria
- "Obama"poem (Arabic)
- a poem.. a song..
- "Al-Quds" by Ameer el-Shu'ara, Palestinian poet, in Arabic
- Qur'an Surat Al-Qadr
from 'Approaching The Qur'an' CD, male reciter
- Book review
- Parvez Sharma's
Jihad for Love
reviewed by .
- Tahrir Team
- Read about Ryme Katkhouda in the team page.
- Africa/World International News
- alIraq News from Occupied Iraq
- Arab American Journalists
- Arab Writers Conference, 2011
- AWAIR, Arab World & Islamic Resources
- Busboys and Poets; DC Bookstore & Cafe
- Electronic Iraq
- Iraq-- Nineveh Digital Mapping
- Majid Ali, MD "Science, Health and Healing"
- Pacifica Radio Network
- Palestinian Initiative
- AlBasrah Iraq News
- Arab American Comedy Festival
- Arab Civilization and Art
- Attorney Lynne Stewart--civil rights defender
- Boycott IsraelCampaign
- Electronic Intifada
- FSRN Pacifica Radio News
- Iraq Virtual Museum
- Journalists MiddleEast
- Muslim Women Lawyers
- Palestine--ongoing Cultural Genocide
- Sami Al Arian
"Being a-political is itself a political decision."
Suheir Hammad, poet