March 20; 7:45 am, B Nimri Aziz begins a new radio commentary on events around the globe and in the USA. Listen in at 99.5 fm, or online www.wbai.org where we are livestreamed.
March 8, Women's Day Radio Specials 10-11 am on WJFF Radio, 90.5 fm, and 11:am on WBAI, 99.5 New York: B. Nimri Aziz interviews director Amber Fares about her new film "Speed Sisters" --a profile of 5 Palestinian car racers. Orther segments are from 2009-2010 interviews with professional women in Damascus Syria, Nadia Khost and Nidaa Al-Islam.
As a Black writer, I was expected to accept the role of victim. That made it difficult in the beginning to be a writer. James Baldwin
I often feel that there must have been something that I should’ve done that I didn’t do. But I can’t identify what it is that I didn’t do. That’s the first difficulty. And the second is, what makes you think you’re it?
Harry Belafonte, activist and singer at 89
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble; It's what you know for sure that just ainst so.
You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.
Mary Tyler Moore
You can’t defend Christianity by being against refugees and other religions
"I don't have to be what you want me to be". Muhammad Ali
"The Secret of Living Well and Longer: eat half, walk double, laugh triple, and love without measure" attributed to Tibetan sources
Recent audio posts include interviews with Rumi interpreter Shahram Shiva, London-based author Aamer Hussein, South African Muslim scholar, professor Farid Esack, and Iraqi journalist Nermeen Al-Mufti's brief account of Kirkuk City history. Your comments on our blogs are always welcome.
- Portrait of Saadia by Myrna
Iranian musician Kayhan Kalhor
- Kalhor, Iranian musician, impresario of kamancheh, speaks with Tahrir about his work and life between Brooklyn, India and Iran.
With interludes from his CD Crossing The Silk Road.
Sample Kamancheh virtuoso Kalhor in collaboration with Shujaat H. Khan; an excerpt from our 55 min. interview 7:30
Sample Kamancheh virtuoso Kalhor interview excerpt 9:30
- Excerpt from Malcolm AlHajj Malik Shabazz' comments in the debate "Black Muslims vs Sit-ins" with James Baldwin and head of the NAACP.
Burhan Al-Mufti, artwork2
Hanan al Shaykh
- author of several highly praised novels, Al Shaykh's latest book is "The Locust and the Bird: My Mother's Story".
During a brief visit to New York in September, Hanan visited Tahrir at WBAI and we had a long talk with her about her mother's story.
This is a short clip from our studio interview.
- Palestinian historian Professor Khalidi addresses the United Nations on the history of Jerusalem; Nov 2009.Part 1. See our Dec. 29, 2009 podcast for the full lecture.
Sample Lecture: Jerusalem History 5:13
Professor Huda Ammash
Leading Iraqi environmental biologist, PH D in molecular biology from University of Missouri, Columbia. Former Dean at Baghdad University and highly regarded scholar.
Recently released from a US military prison in Iraq after being detained by US authorities without charge for 31 months.*
During the period of the UN embargo, Ammash was engaged in important research on the effects of toxicity created by the 1991 war and embargo on the Iraqi population and environment.
See her article "Toxic Pollution, the Gulf War, and Sanctions" which she wrote for "Iraq Under Siege", South End Press, 2000, Boston.
(* Two days after Ammash's release, her husband, Dr. Ahmed Mekki, also a scholar, was taken into custody and remains in detention, held by US military authorities.)
Ammash speaks about war related pollution in Iraq in the accompanying talk with Barbara Nimri Aziz, Baghdad, 1998. (An excerpt from the first of two interviews.)
Environmental Ruin in Iraq by BN Aziz
Sample Professor Ammash, excerpt part 1, reporting research on public health effects of 1991 war and embargo 6:22
Nidaa Al-Islam Hussein
- Broadcaster Nidaa Hussein talks about her work at Syria Radio and her studies at the new Open University in Damascus. Produced by BN Aziz, S. Sharif, R. Nasr
- Rumi interpreter and translator Shahram Shiva talks about the Sufi poet and performs Rumi with music.
Sample Shahram Shiva in conversation with BN Aziz 6:42
Sample by translator and interpreter Shahram Shiva 2:37
- Sarah Malaika, Saadia Aslam, BNimri Aziz, Aydin Baltaci
- Iraqi composer and oud virtuoso, from our 1991 interview in Baghdad.
Sample interviewed in Baghdad, 1991; English tanslation and voice by Mari Kadi 7:00
- Sudan activist Elamin, working with Sudanese women worldwide to support self-help work in Darfur, came into our studio to tell us about her country. Go to our Dec 8, 2009 podcast for the full interview.
- Journalist and author of the newly released "Murder in the Name of Honor: When a Woman's Life is Worth Less than Honor," interviewed by BN Aziz in Amman in Sept. 2009. Complete interview, broadcast Sept 15 is now available free on our podcast (radiotahrir.org)
Naomi Shihab Nye reads "Half and Half "
- and talks about her latest books. With BN Aziz
Ahmed Ahmed, stand up comedian
- Ahmed Ahmed: trained as an actor, now a standup comedian. Ahmed is featured in the 4th annual Arab American Comedy Festival, New
York, November 2006.
He performs across the USA, and internationally.
Sample from our WBAI studio interview 6:08
- HipHop Palestinian vocalist visits our WBAI studio. Interviewed by Phil Kai; see her tribute to Mahmoud Darwish in our "Poems and Songs"
Sample by vocalist Shadia Mansour; also see Shadia's interview under Features 3:35
- NY-based documentary photographer, interviewed by S. Malaika and S. Aslam
- after Vermeer's 'Girl with the Pearl'
by Houda Ghenim, student artist;
A little modernity is a dangerous thing/drink deep or taste not the western spring
quoted by historian Ali Mazrui in the film "The Africans: A Triple Heritage"
Alexander Pope, poet
- a poem.. a song..
- "I Knew"
Sapphire Ahmed's prose poem on Ramadan Flash
- Qur'an Surat Al-Shams
from 'Approaching The Qur'an', CD.
- Book review
- Karen Armstrong's
Fields of Blood: Religion and The History of Violence
reviewed by BN Aziz.
- Tahrir Team
- Read about Sarah Malaika in the team page.